ADSM-L

adding a new tapedrive to a library

2003-01-29 09:36:02
Subject: adding a new tapedrive to a library
From: "Marcel J.E. Mol" <marcel AT MESA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:34:53 +0100
Hello,

I reconfigured a logical library on a 3584 library with an extra
drive (going from 3 to 4 drives). Trying to add this drive
to TSM fails.
This is on an AIX 5.1 machine with tsm server 5.1.5.4.

The curent status is: drive0 element=261 device=/dev/rmt0
                      drive1 element=262 device=/dev/rmt1
                      drive2 element=263 device=/dev/rmt2

The new drive is rmt3 on element address 264.
When I just define this drive it shows the following output:

     tsm: TSMDH01>define drive 3584lib drive3 element=264 online=yes
   ANR8366E DEFINE DRIVE: Invalid value for ELEMENT parameter.
   ANS8001I Return code 3.

The error message  is not very helpful on this error ('specify
a valid value', but I'm sure 264 is the valid value!)

I tried an 'audit library 3584lib' hoping that it learns there
is an extra tape drive, but that did not help.

So the qustions is: how can I define this new drive to TSM?

Kind regards,

-Marcel
--
     ======--------         Marcel J.E. Mol                MESA Consulting B.V.