ADSM-L

Scalar 24 remotely

2003-01-27 18:33:25
Subject: Scalar 24 remotely
From: Kai Hintze <kai.hintze AT ALBERTSONS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:32:47 -0700
1) Can you run LAN-free when your SAN and tape drives are in one location
and your TSM server is in another location?

We have our main data center with the big TSM server in Boise, Idaho. We
have a smaller data center with a small SAN in Phoenix, AZ, about 2000km
away. The Phoenix data center has its own SAN that is just a little too
large to back up across the WAN. We're wondering if we can avoid having to
buy a separate TSM server and just put a small library in Phoenix that would
run LAN-free, with IP robot controller that talks to the TSM server in
Boise. Conceptually, can it work?

2) What do you know about/think of Scalar 24 libraries, specifically for
LAN-free work?

The small library we are looking at is a Scalar 24 from Adic. I've never
actually seen one, but the brochures talk about LAN-free connections. If the
remote use concept is possible, will this library work?

Thanks,
Kai.