ADSM-L

System Object Restore Win2K

2003-01-24 12:47:17
Subject: System Object Restore Win2K
From: "De Joe, Jackie" <Jackie.DeJoe AT SLBG DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:32:19 -0600
I am working on testing a restore of a Win2K server. I read in the Redbook
that the System Objects will only restore to the original location. I noted:
"Tivoli Storage Manager 4.1.2 cannot restore system objects to locations
other than their original locations."

I am running TSM server 5.1 and client 5.1.5:

1) Can I restore System Objects with these versions to different locations?
2) If the restore only goes to the original location is the path hardcode?
example: \winnt\......... or \%systemroot%\ ?

I have two boot directories \winnt and \winback. To test the recovery
process I
booted off \winnt, did a backup of the system objects and archived the data.
I set the default boot to winback and rebooted. The system came up on
winback. I installed the TSM client and then blew away files in \winnt. Then
I started the restore process. First I retrieved the archived data, then I
restored the system objects. Then I rebooted the server. The server would
not reboot. I cannot startup the system on either winback or winnt. Can
anyone give me some advise? Thanks in advance!

Jackie

Jackie De Joe
Unix System Administrator
EDS - Sara Lee