ADSM-L

Re: Managing Server-to-Server tapes taken offsite

2003-01-20 04:24:47
Subject: Re: Managing Server-to-Server tapes taken offsite
From: Laura Buckley <buckley AT STORSOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:14:42 -0700
Hi,

The TARGET server (where the DR data resides) sees the data as archive
objects.  When the SOURCE server (where the primary copy of the data
resides) copies the data to the DRPOOL, the objects become archive
objects on the TARGET server.

Most people who use this type of server-to-server implementation do so
for the express purpose of not having to remove the tapes from the
TARGET server (which assumably resides at a different geographical
location than the SOURCE.)

If you still want to remove the tapes, then I suggest that you do the
following:

On the TARGET server, create a storage pool just for the source server
data.  Then, update the Archive Copy Group in the default management
class of the policy domain the SOURCE server belongs to so that it
points to this new storage pool as the destination storage pool.

When volumes are created in that pool, you can check them out of the
library and update their access to OFFSITE.

Laura Buckley
STORServer, Inc.
ph: (719) 531-5133
cell: (719) 337-2436