ADSM-L

Re: Windows 2000 System State

2003-01-17 14:37:23
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 System State
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:36:43 -0700
Joni,

TSM captures the Windows 2000 system state via the "SYSTEMOBJECT" domain
(it is part of the ALL-LOCAL domain). So if you run "dsmc backup
systemobject" or just do a regular incremental backup of the ALL-LOCAL
domain, you will capture the system state. This information is stored in
the "SYSTEM OBJECT" file space on the TSM server.

A redbook you should look into with more detailed information about this
is SG24-6141 - "Deploying the Tivoli Storage Manager Client in a Windows
2000 Environment". You can find this at www.redbooks.ibm.com.

You'll probably hear this from others, but there are some caveats involved
with backing up the system object. The major consideration is the system
files, which are always backed up regardless of whether they have changed.
Backing up a lot of Windows machines' system files every night can have a
profound impact on your TSM server's database and storage pool growth.
Some things to consider:

- Bind the system object files to a management class that keeps relatively
few versions. You can do this with the following include statement:

   INCLUDE.SYSTEMOBJECT ALL yourmgmtclassname

- Consider backing up the system object on a less frequent basis than your
other backups (i.e. weekly), unless the system state changes quite
frequently. With the latest TSM client, you can exclude file systems via
the DOMAIN statement by prefixing the file system with a '-' (minus) sign.
For example:

   DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL -SYSTEMOBJECT

This will set the domain to all local drives except for the system object.
Then your daily backup schedule can back up everything but the system
object. Once a week (or whatever frequency you choose), run another
scheduled event to execute the "dsmc backup systemobject". One way to do
this (since there is no ACTION=BACKUP setting on the server) is to create
a TSM client macro file that contains the command:

   BACKUP SYSTEMOBJECT

For example, if this file is C:\TSM\baclient\sysobj.mac then you can
create a schedule like this:

   DEFINE SCHEDULE STANDARD BACKSYSOBJ ACTION=MACRO
OBJECTS="C:\TSM\baclient\sysobj.mac"

I'm sure others will have thoughts/suggestions on this subject, too.   :-)

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.

Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
01/17/2003 12:06