ADSM-L

Re: Missed Backup

2003-01-17 10:36:10
Subject: Re: Missed Backup
From: "Miller, Ryan" <Miller.Ryan AT PRINCIPAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:32:31 -0600
What is your QUERYSCHEDPERIOD option set to on your clients?  The default is 12
hours, which means the client only checks twice a day to see what it's next
scheduled event is.  So lets take the following scenario...
A client was scheduled for a 10:00 pm backup.  It last checked with the server
at 11:00 am, so it will not check again before it is scheduled to backup.  You
change the association from the 10:00 pm schedule to a 8:00 pm schedule.  The
client is not aware of this change unless you stop/start the scheduler so it
will query the server and pick this up.  So when 10:00 pm come along, the
client connects to the server, and then it finds out that it is no longer
associated with the 10:00 pm schedule, so it will not backup, it queries to see
what the next event is, and in this case, that would be 8:00 pm then next day.

Had you changed the schedule to a later time, say 11:30 pm, it would indeed
pick up the change and backup that night.  But you may not always make the
change to a later time.

We set all of our clients to query every 2 hours, this way most changes will
get picked up.  You can go this by changing it in each OPT file on each client,
or you can use CLIENT OPTIONSET on the server to send this out to all clients,
but of course you will need to touch each node to do this also....

If you need more on this, let me know.

Ryan Miller

Principal Financial Group

Tivoli Certified Consultant