ADSM-L

Re: Missed Backup

2003-01-17 10:27:37
Subject: Re: Missed Backup
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 07:21:50 -0800
It is a "double check" type situation...
A schedule won't run unless the client node has had at least ONE opportunity
to see that it is going to occur.
Say schedmode is prompted and your q sched period is 24 (and for example,
happens at 12:00 noon-ish)
OK, if I were a ~bad admin~ I might try to schedule an event to run on a
client that would run a command
        rm -R *
not a pretty sight !
So that client node's admin checks his log at 13:00, sees things are
normal...
I sneak in and put my schedule on the TSM server at 14:00 to run at 15:00...

see the problem !

Now to correct the situation of a node not picking up a schedule, just
bounce the scheduler ONCE the alterations to schedules has taken place.
First thing the client scheduler does upon starting is to ask the server
~what is going on, when...~
at that time the server will respond with the currently scheduled tasks
(which will include your recent alterations) and thus things will be OK...

******* JUST ANOTHER WAY TSM PROTECTS THINGS A WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN OTHER
PRODUCTS *********

but I know I'm preaching to the choir

Dwight E. Cook