ADSM-L

Re: WINNT 4.0 SP5 PDC wasn't backing up the software hive in the registry

2003-01-17 09:36:47
Subject: Re: WINNT 4.0 SP5 PDC wasn't backing up the software hive in the registry
From: Lisa Cabanas <CABANL AT MODOT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:42:03 -0600
Sal--
yes, the hard drive had died, so last known good wasn't an option, no I
couldn't restore it back to a bootable state AT ALL because the software
registry key did not exist anymore (and I had no way of recreating it), and
the drive wasn't mirrored. (bad, bad, bad)

What we did end up doing was rebuilding from scratch, promoted a BDC to
PDC, replicated, demoted and promoted.  The users didn't see a problem (it
died after COB and was restored before anyone needed to print (it was where
all the print queues where, too))  --it was just a long night for us.

My question is WHY weren't there any inactive software keys available from
TSM???  That's what I can't figure out.

-lisa

                    Sal Mangiapane
                    <salm@vitalds.       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    com>                 cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: WINNT 4.0 SP5 PDC
wasn't backing up the software hive in
                    "ADSM: Dist           the         registry
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR
                    IST.EDU>

                    01/16/2003
                    08:11 PM
                    Please respond
                    to salm

Sounds like it may have been a hardware (disk) drive failure where the
registry is found.

Maybe the registry hive was not available.  This would also explain why it
wouldn't reboot.

Does the PDC even get to the 'last good menu' option?  If so, try it.

Can you restore from the 1/10 backups?

Other things to consider:

Are the disk drives mirrored?  If yes, maybe you could try booting from the
other drive by updating boot.ini

Do you have a BDC?  Promote it to PDC and recreate this server from scratch
as a BDC and restore from TSM.

Thanks and God bless,

sal

Sal Mangiapane

Servant Technology, Inc
RR 1 Box 435
FOMBELL, PA 16123

Office: 724-758-3981
Mobile: 724-263-6569
FAX:    724-752-7372
E-Mail: salm AT servanttechnology DOT com