ADSM-L

Re: 3494 and tapes question.

2003-01-16 22:37:54
Subject: Re: 3494 and tapes question.
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:35:12 -0600
I continue to suffer this.  I had recommended an additional unit for the 3494
to be delivered 7/1/02.  Instead I got the expiration problems of V5R1.  I
started by removing the archives, then the least referenced desktops, followed
by turning off collocation on everything but production machines.  The new silo
arrived mid November, and is now 3/4 full.  The next is scheduled for July, if
I last that long.  Today I scrambled for 10 carts of the shelf.  Yesterday, I
had to deal with a restore that had 4 out of 28 on the shelf carts that were of
use.  This is a lights out setup, which leaves me as the world's highest paid
tape operator.  Impress on your management that youdo not, not, not want to get
in this situation.  TSM is wonderful at satisfying users, but it takes
corparate support at the base level, which is hardware.  I have people standing
in line for the service, if I can support them properly, which means, in
Archemedian terms, "give me a place to stand..."

I'm glad to have a weekend off for moving my kid from dorm to dorm.

Fred Johanson