ADSM-L

Re: 3494 and tapes question.

2003-01-16 03:44:50
Subject: Re: 3494 and tapes question.
From: Imre Csatlos <csatlosi AT BBRT DOT HU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:41:48 +0100
Hi,
If you can't expand your library capacity here are some tips for you:

1.      Move your archive data offsite if possible.. Archive retention is
based on time, not on versions like backups. You can organize the space
reclamations better .
2.   You don't have to put back a tape as soon as it needs to be reclaimed.
Write a scipt that checks the reclaimable space on your offsite volumes, and
move them onsite when you have more of them, or on a regular basis.
3. Organize your vault, especially if you have a lot of tapes offsite. At my
site we mainly do archiving,
so I have separate shelves for different retention time archives.

4. As for restores: either you check manually for required tapes when doing
a restore, or you can set up some scripts to query the tsm server. In my
case I wrote a small C code to let the TSM server log its messages to the
standard Unix syslog service (I can send it for you, runs on AIX). Since we
have a separate server for collection and analyzing syslogs, I just put a
new rule into the syslog analyzer  to send me (or the operators) a mail when
a tape request arives from the TSM server (check out Logsurfer. Its free,
and quite good.). A simple reply to the mail checkes in the media. (It needs
to be put into the library first, of course. :)   )

I hope this helps you, but again: you should avoid offsite volumes. It's
just a pain in the lib. :)

Imre Csatlós
Solaris & TSM Admin
Budapest Bank Rt, Hungary