ADSM-L

Re: 3494 and tapes question.

2003-01-15 13:05:41
Subject: Re: 3494 and tapes question.
From: "Riley, Craig" <Riley.Craig AT TCHDEN DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:29:32 -0700
I would so strongly recommend that you do not remove onsite storage
volumes from you library if you can help it at all. Yes it will work,
but when you need to do restores, or reclaimation management becomes a
full time job. When we out grew our system I had a similar situation, I
ended up having to write a perl script to query the server every 5
minutes and email outstanding requests to my OPS team. Although there
are ways to find out what tape one might hold a nodes data while
preparing for a restore, there is no easy way to know which tape has the
active data. This makes tape shuffling very probable. Simply put, if
there is a way to keep it all in the robot, do so!

Craig Riley
The Children's Hospital in Denver
UNIX / TSM Admin