ADSM-L

To Collate or Not to Collate?

2003-01-13 16:07:11
Subject: To Collate or Not to Collate?
From: Theresa Sarver <tsarver.IFMC AT SDPS DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:05:52 -0500
Hi All;

Environment:
SP Complex (7 wide nodes) running AIX 433 ML10
TSM 415
IBM 3494 (2-3590E drives)

When this was setup a couple years ago, they chose to enable collation, I
understand why - however, scratch tapes are now at a premium.  I would like to
know if I disabled collation if that would help to free up some tapes...and can
it be disabled on the fly?  Or is my only solution to start trimming backups?

Also, our "tapepool to copypool" backup is now running over 24 hours.  Has
anyone else out there run into this problem before?  And if so - how did you
get around it?  Oh, and I'll save you the time...Management refuses to buy
another drive.  - Time to get creative!

Thank you for your assistance;
Theresa