ADSM-L

Re: How to find zero byte files that are backed up ?

2003-01-09 09:16:53
Subject: Re: How to find zero byte files that are backed up ?
From: Rainer Wolf <rainer.wolf AT RZ.UNI-ULM DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 15:12:25 +0100
Hello
just recently experienced that files with a length of zero bytes
act like directories : Corresponding to the platform
and the type of filesystem  those backed-up 0-byte files are moved
        - directly into the tsm-database without touching
the 'destination-pool' if the access-control-entries is not too large
... for example for solaris-with-ufs
        - or it moves those 0-byte-files also into the destination-pool
because the place for the associated acl-entry is too large
... for example for decunix-with-advfs or windows
for aix ... ? I just don't know.

I wanted to know from the service if there is a kind list of
Platform/Filesystem-Type and the corresponding behaviour
( 0-byte-file moves to 'tsm-database-ONLY' or
moves 'also-to-the-destination-pools' ) what happens to those
0-byte-files being backed up.  The answer was that there is no such
a list.
My question was just to preview what happens to those files and
...maybe thats not what you want to know ...

Rainer

"Cook, Dwight E" wrote:

> OK, I've had a question put to me and so far I just don't know...
> With such viruses, as the ones that zero out files under windows, is there
> an easy way to see if TSM is holding any zero-byte files ? ? ?  (ie. check
> from the TSM server for potentially infected client nodes...)
>
> I tried testing under Unix (AIX) with a zero byte file and...
> I thought that I might be able to look in the adsm.contents table for
> file_size=0
>         but what I found is (two things)...
>         1) due to aggregates, the file size listed for most files is the
> size of the aggregate
>         2) if you have a zero byte file, you won't even have an entry for it
> in the adsm.contents table
> The output of a "show version" doesn't list anything about filesize...
>
> Anyone have any tricks to do such a discovery ? (of zero byte backed up
> files)
>
> Dwight

Rainer Wolf                                     mail: rainer.wolf AT rz.uni-ulm
DOT de
tel: ++49 731 50-22482                          fax:  ++49 731 50-22471
Computing Center, University of Ulm, Germany    web: http://www.uni-ulm.de/urz