ADSM-L

Re: faulty media

2003-01-08 20:13:11
Subject: Re: faulty media
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 20:12:36 -0500
>Recently, we have been experiencing a high number of media errors
>(generally read errors with some locate errors) on our 3584 LTO library.

Consider environmentals among the factors.  Winter is particularly bad because
so much dirt is tracked into computer rooms on wet shoes.  If the room is not
humidity-controlled, drier conditions and heating can make for more dust in
the air.  If your library is in a high-traffic area, you have a lot of cause
for contaminants to move around it, and these boxes are far from sealed.

  Richard Sims, BU