ADSM-L

Re: slow restore of backupset

2003-01-01 19:22:27
Subject: Re: slow restore of backupset
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 19:26:25 -0500
Sona,

The TDPs do not support backup sets.
In fact, any application that uses the TSM API
(like the TDPs) does not support backup sets.

The only way you can restore a backup that was
taken with TDP for SQL, is with TDP for SQL.
You can not restore it using the BA client interface.

If you took the backup while the SQL Server was down
and you took it using the BA client, at the file level,
then you might have a chance... but a backup taken
with TDP for SQL must be restored using TDP for SQL.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Never cut what can be untied.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.

I created a backupset a few weeks ago from one of the win2K servers
running TDP SQL. It took a few hours for the set to be created. I have 2
questions:
- Would the backupset include the SQL DB in it? We do have a filespace
defined which backs up the DB. Would restoring the backupset also
restore the DB in a useable format??
- I am now trying to restore the backupset from the Client GUI. It has
been running for 12 hours but it has only restored 5 GB so far. My DB is
300 GB, which makes me wonder how long its going to take.

The Client is connected to the SAN and tape libary using fibre. Is there
any way of speeding up the restore or estimating how long it will take?