ADSM-L

Re: HSM

2002-12-11 17:24:44
Subject: Re: HSM
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:24:03 +0100
On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:37:02 -0800
"Gerald Wichmann" <gwichman AT ZANTAZ DOT COM> wrote:

> Anyone have a particularly large HSM environment and been using it a
> while?

We have about 0.5 and about 1 TB in HSM, no problem. Until this year,
HSM never f***ed up, and even then I just had to restore one or two
directories of stub-files and I'm still unsure weather HSM or the aix
nfs server was at fault. "Migration requires backup" is a sensible thing
to use, as are fast (3590/stk9840/stk9940) tape drives and a very fast
library, mount and seek-times are the bottle-neck in performance...

> I'm curious on any experiences with the product, good or bad. I would
> imagine there must be some people out there who need long term storage
> of infrequently accessed files and have considered it as a solution
> for that.
>
> Gerald Wichmann
> Senior Systems Development Engineer
> Zantaz, Inc.