ADSM-L

Moving TSM Tapes from One Tape Management System to Another

2002-11-26 12:28:11
Subject: Moving TSM Tapes from One Tape Management System to Another
From: "Klein, Robert (NIH/CIT)" <kleinr AT EXCHANGE.NIH DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:27:40 -0500
We are in the process of moving TSM (v4.2 for OS/390) from a machine that
uses Control-T as its tape management system to a machine that uses CA-1
(TMS) as its tape management system.  I am told by the system person in
charge of our tape management systems that it will be necessary to copy the
data from the tapes managed by ct-t to tapes managed by CA-1 in order for
users to be able to recover their data once we move TSM.  Has anyone gone
through a similar process?  It seems to be me that TSM will lose track of
where the data is if the data is copied outside of TSM, but it apparently is
not possible for TSM to have access to the two tape management systems
simultaneously, so I can't use TSM's move data command or migrate the data.

Thanks for any suggestions or pointers.