ADSM-L

Re: Database Questions

2002-11-26 06:15:42
Subject: Re: Database Questions
From: Gianluca Mariani1 <gianluca_mariani AT IT.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:15:04 +0100
A couple of things: the cache hit % is too low. we'd like to see >99%
ideally, but 90% is bad performance. and cache wait % should be 0
ideally.one reason could be the many volumes you are using, and the fact
that Veritas filesystem does introduce an overhead.
bufpoolsize should be normally around 10% of your real RAM, but if
increasing it increases paging on the server then don't.
the DB, being read oriented, performs better if it is split among different
physical volumes. but not more than 10-12 volumes.together with what Zlatko
said about arrays.
and yes, switch from RAID 5 to RAID 10 and use DB mirroring.that is,
mirrorwrite db parallel and database page shadow.
have fun.

p.s. how's JPL doing? I have a monstrous respect for you guys.

Cordiali saluti
Gianluca Mariani
Tivoli TSM Global Response Team, Roma
Via Sciangai 53, Roma
 phones : +39(0)659664598
                   +393351270554 (mobile)
gianluca_mariani AT it.ibm DOT com

"The people of Krikkit,are, well, you know, they're just a bunch of real
sweet guys, you know, who just happen to want to kill everybody. Hell, I
feel the same way some mornings..."

             "Kelly J. Lipp"
             <[email protected]
             Sent by: "ADSM:        ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI
bcc
             ST.EDU>
                                                                   Subject
                                    Re: Database Questions
             21/11/2002
             00.01

             Please respond
                 to lipp

You might also set the selftunebuffpoolsize yes as well.  Check the exact
syntax, but this relatively new option will have TSM adjust this parameter
is necessary.

Also, I like to have this parameter set to some power of two rather than
just a number.  Don't know if that matters, but it appeals to my digital
sense.

Kelly J. Lipp
STORServer, Inc.
485-B Elkton Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
lipp AT storsol DOT com or kelly.lipp AT storserver DOT com
www.storsol.com or www.storserver.com
(719)531-5926
Fax: (240)539-7175