ADSM-L

Re: private volume returns into sctatch?

2002-11-26 05:17:47
Subject: Re: private volume returns into sctatch?
From: Rainer Wolf <rainer.wolf AT RZ.UNI-ULM DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:05:33 +0100
Hello Kurt,
i think it depends on the time the db-volume was createtd and on your
deletion-policy of db-volumes like
  'del volh todate=today-10   t=dbb'
... for example freeing volumes older than 10 days.
If you just manually check in/out those volumes you
may experience the following: if the date of
the-checkin-again-of-the-db-volume
minus the date of the-creation-of-the-db-volume
is LOWER than your deletion-policy then that volume may come automatically
into scratch when the 'del volh t=dbbb ' will run again.
If the time is HIGHER than your deleteion-policy, then your
volume may stay in private until you update it to scratch.
Knowing that you are checking in db-volumes you may easyly, but manually
use the command you have mentioned and after that
check the state of the successfully-checked-in tape with
a command like
'query drmed  DB_MON '
... if this command shows up something like
 ' No match found using this criteria'
the volume won't go to scratch automatically and you have checked in the
volume after the date when your expiration had whiped it out.
... if this command shows the volume with something like 'Mountable ...'
the volume will go automatically into scratch because
the expiration will run in future and your volume will be online at that time.

So your problem maybe gone if you just checkin the volumes
some days later ?

Greetings Rainer

"kurt.beyers AT pandora DOT be" wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> My environment is TSM 5.1.1.6 on a Win2k server.
>
> I take every day a full TSM db backup to a private tape volume. The tapes are
> checked in as private.
>
> However, the past week it happened twice that a database tape was allocated
> in the storage pool for the backup of the clients. If I check the activity
> log, it says indeed "Scratch volume DB_MON is now defined in storage pool
> SSL_POOL1."
>
> I've checked in the tape with a status private, but somehow it was returned
> as being scratch.  Am I'm missing something here? When I perform the command
> 'checkin libv ssl2020 search=bulk status=private', the tape is checked in as
> private and  it shouldn't return to a status scratch. Has anybody else
> experienced the same behaviour?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Kurt

Rainer Wolf                                     mail: rainer.wolf AT rz.uni-ulm
DOT de
tel: ++49 731 50-22482                          fax:  ++49 731 50-22471
Computing Center, University of Ulm, Germany    web: http://www.uni-ulm.de/urz