ADSM-L

Re: tape become full in 21 percent.

2002-11-26 01:03:09
Subject: Re: tape become full in 21 percent.
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:01:42 -0600
Jack,

Before I bought my new libraries last year, I did exactly that.

The only wrinkles I saw were:
1) TSM can handle files larger than a tape volume by spanning volumes;
reclaiming such a file to a disk pool  that holds "a tape" does not work
but you won't know until AFTER the system tries to write the capacity of
the disk pool and then rolls back that transaction;
2) Reclamation takes twice as long because the data travels via two
processes - tape to disk, followed by disk to tape.

This is also a viable option if you have more than one drive but don't have
enough to avoid drive contention.  I used it for a very busy two drive
library.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram Corporation

                    "Coats, Jack"
                    <Jack.Coats@BANKSTE       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    RLING.COM>                cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:           Subject:     Re: tape become full
in 21 percent.
                    Dist Stor Manager"
                    <[email protected]

                    11/25/2002 11:44 AM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

To do a reclamation on a single drive system you need some disk space.
I would suggest a tapes worth of space, but it can deal with less.

Define a disk file as a sequential access storage pool (call it SEQDISK).
The migration pool for the SEQDISK would go to would be TAPEPOOL
(assuming that is your tape pool).  Set TAPEPOOLs recovery pool to be
SEQDISK.  Now start a recovery.  It will read the tape(s) to disk, then
write to TAPEPOOL output tape as necessary.  Rinse. Repeat.

As always, YMMV, and don't try this at home without a net.
At least that is my current understanding.  Other opinions are welcome.
Someone want to shoot holes in it for me?