ADSM-L

Re: TSM & Oracle db backup

2002-11-25 11:30:54
Subject: Re: TSM & Oracle db backup
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:26:15 +0200
They have RMAN - it comes with Oracle but maybe is not installed.
You have three options:

1. perform offline backups
Stop Oracle instance, backup Oracle data files with TSM Backup/Archive
client, start the instance. The instance stop/start can be performed
within a single script with TSM client invokation in the middle or through
separate scripts using preschedulecmd/postschedulecmd.

2. online backups
Configure RMAN and use ITSM for Databases (former TDP for Oracle).

3. semi-online backups.
Alter tablespaces in backup mode, backup data files, alter tablespaces in
normal mode. This can be in-house grown solution without TDP but someone
have to verify all the scripts involved, document them, etc.

In all three options you can use many sessions. Even when backing up a
single filesystem TSM client can do it in parallel. TDP for Oracle also
can utilize many sessions.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Selva, Perpetua" <perpetua.selva AT RBCCM DOT COM>
25.11.2002 18:10