ADSM-L

Re: backup/restore philosophy for Exchange

2002-11-22 09:25:09
Subject: Re: backup/restore philosophy for Exchange
From: Mark Bertrand <Mark.Bertrand AT USUNWIRED DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:19:46 -0600
Listen to Del, since he's accredited for authoring brickback.doc, good doc
Del.

To make a long story short, NO to your question. You will find no bricklevel
option in the TDP for exchange, nor will you find mention of the TDP in
bricklevel.doc, which I found interesting since the document is on the TDP
CD.

There has been more than enough discussion on the subject here, just type
exchange in the adsm.org search engine, it's all very good reading. The main
consensus is that the reason TSM does not do bricklevel is because of the
way the Exchange's API's are written, and any backup that states that it can
is careless and unsafe.

On the other hand, since there are backup vendors out there who are selling
bricklevel solutions, TSM has given it's customers a solution as well.
Bricklevel backups and restores using exmerge and pst's. Although this could
always be done before, Del has now documented it and gave us a few shortcuts
using ini files for those of us that only want to grab those "VIP"
mailboxes.

Although I don't agree that this a "true" bricklevel solution, I do applaud
Del in documenting it and giving us a safe and workable solution along with
sample files and quick start instructions.

Thanks,
Mark B.