ADSM-L

Re: netware client on aix tsm server

2002-11-21 10:39:39
Subject: Re: netware client on aix tsm server
From: Neil Bowen <Neil.Bowen AT RA.GSI.GOV DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 15:16:29 +0000
Hello

Just to add my two-pennorth (3 cents US). The default protocol for
Netware 5.1 is TCP/IP and it will have been installed on the server even
if it's not configured (unlikely). Inetcfg, however, isn't a GUI but its
pretty easy to follow the menus - enable the IP protocol and bind to the
board then reinitialize the system and you wont even have to bring the
server down.

We use IP for backing up our 4.x Netware servers - where the default is
IPX - as well as our 5 and 6 servers without any problems. There's no
need to do anything clever - just install and configure IP.

Regards

Neil Bowen
RSI Novell Serer Manager

>>> daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE 21/11/02 14:22:16 >>>
Hi

If you have a Netware 5.1 server, there shouldn't be any problems
having
the Netware talk through TCPIP. All you have to do is run inetcfg(load

inetcfg) from the command line on the netware server. This will bring
up a
graphical interface were you can configure TCP/IP.

Only problem would be if not TCP/IP is installed. This is however a
fairly
easy installation, which is done through nwconfig(load nwconfig). Here
you
can select to install netware products and drivers, such as TCP/IP.

AIX natively doesn't speak IPX. However, I'm uncertain whether or not
there are any 3rd party products which can apply IPX functionality to
AIX,
such as FastConnect or any other product.

Easiest solution would be to enable TCP/IP on Netware.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 HÄGERNÄS
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

Michelle Wiedeman <michelle.wiedeman AT MULTRIX DOT COM>
2002-11-21 15:14