ADSM-L

How to move datacentres.

2002-11-20 22:01:46
Subject: How to move datacentres.
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:40:02 +1000
Hi all,

I'm moving a couple of apps - SAP/DB2 and an oracle data warehouse - from an
RS6000 SP cluster on to a couple of brand spankin' new P690s, and at the same
time moving to a new datacentre. It's just across the road but it might as well
be on the moon.

1. The SP cluster has a fast internal network, but only 10MBit external.
2. There is a 3494 connected to the TSM server on both sites. 4 drives on old
site and 2 drives on new
3. The move is time limited.
4. The SP must not be disturbed for 6 weeks after the move just in case we want
to go back.

One approach is to back up to TSM, backup the TSM database, remove the tapes
needed, bring up TSM at the new site and restore. Ok, but complex and messy,
and hard to do in small chunks (for the test migrations along the way).

Second approach - export node data, and import to new TSM server then restore.
Export/import operations are single threaded and tape to tape therefore slow.
The sap DB alone is 350GB, so I can't make this work in a reasonable timeframe
(backup/export/transport/import/restore)

Third approach -  detach a drive from TSM.  Run a backup utility on the source
machine to either stdout or a named pipe depending on the utility, then read
from this across the SP switch to the TSM node with rsh and from there to tape.
 Testing has revealed that this will work and be both simple and fast- but, I
need a utility that is smart enough to recognize end of tape and the 3494
autoloader mode and load the next tape automatically.  I've tried the pax and
aix backup utilities with no success.

Can anyone point me at a utility that can do this or suggest a different
approach to the problem? Also I'd love some real world information on how to
set up the 3494 autoloader mode and use it from AIX, just to be sure that I've
got that bit right.

TIA

Steve Harris
Unix, Backup and Storage Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.