ADSM-L

Re: tape-to-tape performance

2002-11-20 15:31:57
Subject: Re: tape-to-tape performance
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:21:39 -0800
Is 1.6 TB the amount of "must have/critical" information ?
and is that already compressed ?
Knowing each tape mount runs about 90 seconds, any way to reduce tape mounts
will speed up copies.
If you have collocation on, turning it off ~could~ help... and collocation
can/is set on both primary pools and copy pools.
Now if the data isn't compressed by the client the data is uncompressed at
the drive, moved through the processor as ~full size~ data, then
recompressed at the destination drive.  If your clients have the horsepower,
turn on client compression, that way not so much data is moved across the
processor's buss.
Don't daisy chain any of your 3590's if they are older scsi.
You might be able to reduce your data down if you force the application
owners to review their required CRITICAL/MUST HAVE data and send it to
isolated pools for copies to take offsite.

just some thoughts...

Dwight