ADSM-L

Re: Offsite tape challenge

2002-11-20 09:18:50
Subject: Re: Offsite tape challenge
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:12:11 -0500
I ship between 8 and 12 LTO tapes off-site every weekday morning. Once a
week we generate a pull list of all off-site tapes in pending or empty
status and have them (plust the oldest week's TSM database backups) brought
back. This runs to about 40 tapes coming back.

I do daily reclaims of some of the off-site tape pools; others are archive
pools with a 21 day retention. These I just let die the death and come back
after the 21 days.

My courier is part of our help-desk staff (a former mainframe computer
operator), so we don't need to do the 'sealed box' bit.

And our off-site storage is the company hanger at the local airport, about
11 miles away.

As of now, I show 95 tapes off-site; 19 are ready to come back (or serve as
initial scratch pool at D/R).

The process works. We've done a number of successful D/R tests and haven't
run into missing/unavailable files in the last three years.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc