ADSM-L

Re: 3590 Tape Drives

2002-11-19 10:40:47
Subject: Re: 3590 Tape Drives
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:35:23 -0500
We were in the same situation. Also couldn't get 10-20% of my tapes to
initialize. Lots of errors and problems. IBM would run their diagnostics
and find nothing wrong. They also replaced parts, i.e. the heads,
cleaners, etc.

Contacted iMation. They said the problem was with the tape drive microcode
levels. They told me what minimum level to get to.

Had IBM come in and upgrade the microcode and the software levels on
various other components of my 3494.

Most if not all of my problems went away. I was able to initialize the
tapes that previously wouldn't.

Bruce Kamp <bkamp AT MHS DOT NET>
11/19/2002 10:19 AM