ADSM-L

Re: Whats the Risk?

2002-11-17 04:16:51
Subject: Re: Whats the Risk?
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 02:54:13 -0600
IBM Service saying this is like the doctor telling you to take two
aspirin and call back in the morning. It can't hurt, it might fix it,
and it'll keep you busy and out of their hair for quite a while. But
this process is SO costly in terms of downtime!

MANY database inconsistencies correct themselves, if left alone. The
reclamation and migration processes are great database fixers.

Consider doing an audit of only your online disk storage pools, which is
MUCH faster. Since the disk storage pools are the new stuff, there is a
pretty good chance (but not a total certainty!) that is where the
problem is. The time savings make it worth trying. The formulas already
posted in this thread still apply, but you are dealing with so many
fewer objects that the time becomes reasonable. (tens of minutes,
compared to days) Migrating your disk storage pools to tape as much as
possible will, of course, shorten this time accordingly. This is
undocumented (YMMV, Standard Disclaimers Apply, and do not cut the tag
off your mattress!) IBM Service told me about this when I complained
about how long a full audit would take, and it fixed my database
problem: DSMSERV AUDITDB DISKSTORAGE FIX=YES followed by all your other
auditdb options such as file=... The undocumented part is the
DISKSTORAGE parameter, telling it to only audit the disk storage pools.