ADSM-L

TSM 5116 server / storageagent performance degradation

2002-11-15 09:42:39
Subject: TSM 5116 server / storageagent performance degradation
From: "Burton, Robert" <robert.burton AT RBC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:20:34 -0500
We were running tsm 4.2.2.4 on an S7A AIX server.  We were putting through
approx 1.7 TB nightly with approx 85%
going to disk storagepool and the remaining going direct to tape.  We were
also testing Lan-free with Gresham EDT-Distributape and STK acsls/9840 tape
drives and we were consistently on an UDB api backup receiving 15 MB/s

one month ago we upgraded all server and storageagents to tsm 5.1.1.6 level
and since then we have seen performance drop.  We are having trouble getting
through the 1.7 TB nightly.  The same lan-free tests are only getting us
around 10 MB/s.

We will be upgrading to a bigger and more powerful aix server this weekend
in hopes that the performance drop is related to our S7a server reaching the
end of its life span but I know when we upgraded from tsm 3.7 to 4.2 we saw
an increase in server performance, I'm worried that the upgrade from 4.2 to
5.1 has gone in reverse.

Has anybody sees anything remotely similar after an upgrade to tsm 5.1.1.6
???

thanks
Robert Burton
Enterprise Storage Network Analyst
Royal Bank of Canada
315 Front St West
Toronto, On, M5V 3A4
* 416-348-3849
* Robert.Burton AT rbc DOT com <mailto:Robert.Burton AT rbc DOT com>

waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of
this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient
is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by
return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Ce courriel est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits
et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce
message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le
(les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courriel par
erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courriel ou par un
autre moyen.