ADSM-L

Re: NetWare 6 Cluster and Web Client

2002-11-14 13:22:08
Subject: Re: NetWare 6 Cluster and Web Client
From: Mark Humphrey <Mark.Humphrey AT NUEDGE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 18:19:45 +0000
Hi Shannon,

Did you restore to the original location or to a different location?  If
the latter, then I suspect a weird bug is the cause.

Regards
Mark Humphrey
Project Manager
NuEdge Ltd
www.nuedge.com

Shannon Bach <SBach AT MGE DOT COM>
14/11/2002 18:12
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: NetWare 6 Cluster and Web Client

I have had the same problem with a restore on a NetWare 6 where I would
get
the message that
"This data set is in use and cannot be accessed at this time"
It turned out there was a user in the application that used that
particular
file while I was attempting the restore.  For some reason NetWare does not
like this (a NetWare guru would probably know why??).  When the user
exited
out of the application the restore worked fine.  Maybe this could be your
problem.

Shannon Bach
Madison Gas & Electric Co.
Operations Analyst - Data Center Services
Office 608-252-7260
Fax 608-252-7098
e-mail sbach AT mge DOT com

                      Mark Humphrey
                      <Mark.Humphrey@NU        To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      EDGE.COM>                cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: NetWare 6
Cluster and Web Client
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      11/14/2002 10:01
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hi Jim,

Yes we have generated a password file.

We've not experienced the problem you have with SP2.  Novell released an
update for NSS yesterday (NW6NSS2B.EXE), but I've not had a chance to
apply it yet.  We previously had the post SP2 NSS beta batches installed,
so maybe that prevented us having the problem. (TSM was installed only a
month ago).

The only other problem we're experiencing is similar to one that someone
else posted with NW 5.1.   When carrying out a restore to an empty
directory, (via DSMC command line) it seems to attempt restoring some
files twice.  For example:

***********************************
File 'APPS:/restore/PS2000/WINWORD/ABSENCE.DOC' is write protected

Select an appropriate action
  1. Force an overwrite for this object
  2. Force an overwrite on all objects that are write protected
  3. Skip this object
  4. Skip all objects that are write protected
  A. Abort this operation
Action [1,2,3,4,A] : 1

(TSA600.NLM 6.0 266) This data set is in use and cannot be accessed at
this time
***********************************

When I look in the restore location (at the time that the problem occours)
the file is there.  If I try to change it's attributes or delete it  I get
a message saying that the file is in use by other process.  I think this
may be problem with TSA600.

I've reported this problem back to the people who installed TSM.  I
believe they're going to raise the issue with IBM (as they have with the
Web client problem)

Cheers
Mark

Jim Kirkman <jmk AT EMAIL.UNC DOT EDU>
14/11/2002 15:08
Please respond to
jim_kirkman AT unc DOT edu

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: NetWare 6 Cluster and Web Client

Mark,

Do you have password generate in your cluster opt file? That will present
problems if you don't.

Are you seeing any other anomalies with your clustered volumes? We're
having
a problem where, after applying a patch (eDir 8.6.2 patch SP2) our
clustered
volumes are not recognized by the 5151 client.

--
Jim Kirkman
AIS - Systems