ADSM-L

Devices and Elements

2002-11-14 11:08:36
Subject: Devices and Elements
From: Scott Foley <sfoley AT NETDOCUMENTS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:06:36 -0700
I have an HP SureStore E Tape Library 20/700 that has six DLT drives
connected via fiber to a W2K system.  Three drives and the controller are
connected to one fiber connection and the other three drives are connected
to another fiber channel.  The set of drives with the controller works, but
the other set does not.  Windows and TSM see all six of the drives.   My
question is: How do you match device that is listed in Windows to the proper
element number?

This is how I have it defined now.

DRIVE_1         Device MT10.0.6.5       Element 500 Fails
DRIVE_2         Device MT1.0.6.5        Element 501 Fails
DRIVE_3         Device MT19.0.6.5       Element 502 Fails

DRIVE_4         Device MT4.0.6.4        Element 503 Works
DRIVE_5         Device MT13.0.6.4       Element 504 Works
DRIVE_6         Device MT22.0.6.4       Element 505 Works

TSM seems to be able to place a tape in the problem drives, but then gets an
ANR8779E error and takes the drive offline.  I have the windows device
driver turned off for all six drives.  I used lbtest.exe to see the element
numbers, but
that did not seem to tell me the device name associated with the element.

If the Devices and Elements are assigned properly, then what else do I look
for?

I am also curious about the best way to test if a drive is working properly.
Can you tell TSM to place a tape in drive 1, and simply read it.

Thank You
Scott Foley

Lbtest.exe results
Library Inventory: