ADSM-L

Re: TDP Exchange v5.1.5

2002-11-13 13:31:31
Subject: Re: TDP Exchange v5.1.5
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:25:59 -0500
Bruce,

The brick-level backup "option" is accomplished
through using the ITSM BA client (with subfile backup)
and the ExMerge tool provided with the Exchange server.
(Microsoft still has not provided a way to extract
individual items/mailbixes from the standard
backup and restore API data streams.)

There is a document within the package (brickback.doc) that
describes, in detail, how to set this up as well as some sample
scripts and other files to help you get this going quickly.

In a nutshell, ExMerge is used to dump the mailboxes
to a .PST file and the ITSM BA client is used to
back those files up to the ITSM Server.
By utilizing subfile backup, only the changes to the
mailbox are sent on subsequent backups.
Combining that with the ability of ExMerge to
only update the file with new and changed messages,
you get an incremental type backup.

Keep in mind, this should only be used as a
supplement (not a replacement) to normal
backup and restore using Data Protection for Exchange.

Please refer to the documentation (brickback.doc)
in the Data Protection for Exchange 5.1.5 package
for more details about this newly documented procedure.

By the way... some customers on this list have been
using this technique for a while. It is now
documented with Data Protection for Exchange 5.1.5.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Never cut what can be untied.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.