ADSM-L

Re: Retaining Activity Logs (was Re: Tape History....)

2002-11-13 12:28:04
Subject: Re: Retaining Activity Logs (was Re: Tape History....)
From: DFrance <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:38:19 -0600
Yes... this is an excellent idea;  it's so good, that IBM made it even
easier on AIX -- search for "dsmulog" in the admin. guide... it creates the
flat-file in real-time, can be setup to automatically roll-over to a new
file every night at midnight, so I usually advise 30-day retention on act.
log, and setup a mgmt class for the rolled-over files so we can go back a
year (or more, if desired).  Kinda like using generation data groups for the
old syslog files.

With this program, a monitoring program can "watch" the tail of the
flat-file in real-time, sending/recording alerts for significant issues that
arise.

Don France
Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tivoli Storage Manager, WinNT/2K, AIX/Unix, OS/390
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT ayett DOT net (change aye to a for replies)

Professional Association of Contract Employees
(P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)