ADSM-L

Re: Journaling

2002-11-13 06:31:28
Subject: Re: Journaling
From: "Magura, Curtis" <curtis.magura AT LMCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 06:08:44 -0500
Geoffrey,

Similar to what we see. In our case just plain old SCSI connected devices so
I can take out all of the various SAN questions from your example. When it
(journaling) works it's great! But we have nights where the backup will
fail. If we stop the TSM Journal Service and restart it the backup will run.
There are times when the Journaling Service won't stop or gets and error
when it is trying to stop. Also have had it stop successfully and then when
trying to restart it will fail stating the service is already active when
based on the Services GUI it isn't running. This is on 5.1.1 NT4 SP6
clients. I haven't taken this to support yet. It's on my list just looking
for time to collect some additional data and open a call!

We have three Intel file servers that are similar in size.
4.5 - 5 million files spread over 20 different drives. Different issue is
that we can only setup the Journal on 10 drives or so. After that we get an
error.
Typically 120-130 GB per night backed up per client.
Journaling on - right around 8 hours - If we could Journal all of the drives
I would expect this time to go down even more.
Journaling off - 12 + hours.

Server - AIX 4.3.3 ML10 / TSM 5.1.1.4

Curt Magura
Lockheed Martin EIS