ADSM-L

Re: restore to diff. client

2002-11-12 09:26:36
Subject: Re: restore to diff. client
From: David Stabler <dstabler AT MORRISONHOMES DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:25:52 -0500
>From Mark Stapleton:
>> As far as I know, cross-platform restores are possible among
>> similar plattforms, like ( Win*, OS2)or (all unixes)
>> and only does not work between those groups, e.g. win->unix.

>Nope, sure can't. I can't restore a file from a JFS filesystem (AIX)
>to a QFS (Sun) filesystem.

Unfortunately we're just single vendor, so I can't test this, but is it
because of the big endian versus little endian data storage scheme?  I
doubt it's the filesystem method selected, because the structure of the
filesystem is OS dependent and Tivoli really just backs up directory
entry information and files (with associated access detail).  If you
have the ability to test it, try restoring a small file, and when you
look at it and it is garbage, run the UNIX command

dd if=infile of=outfile conv=swab

and then check the outfile (swab means swap a for b, that is, big to
little or little to big in byte order).  Now, this only works for small
files, that is, files where you have room to run the conversion, but if
this is a critical file and you have space, it might be a way to get at
the data.  Can you let us know?

-drs-

David Stabler, CATE/AIX, CNCE
Senior Systems Analyst