ADSM-L

TSM 5.1 on Solaris 8 64-bit - performance tuning question

2002-11-11 13:52:40
Subject: TSM 5.1 on Solaris 8 64-bit - performance tuning question
From: Kent Monthei <Kent.J.Monthei AT GSK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:49:11 -0500
We have a 1.2TB (& growing) Oracle Data Warehouse on one domain of a Sun
Enterprise 10000 (E10K) Server.  The same E10K domain also has TSM 5.1.1.6
Server and TSM 5.1.1.6 Client installed and backs itself up to a
locally-attached SCSI tape library with 4 DLT7000 Drives.

We perform a database shutdown, a full cold backup of the OS filesystem,
then a database restart (no RMAN or TDP for Oracle involved).  The full
cold backup goes direct-to-tape.  Our objective is to keep all 4 drives
active near-100% of the time, to achieve the shortest possible backup
window.

We're trying to take advantage of ResourceUtilization in the newer
multi-threaded TSM Client, but I'm having trouble getting the Client to
consistently start/maintain 4 data sessions to tape.  ResourceUtilization
is set to 8.  Throughout most of the backup, 5-6 sessions are active.
However we are only seeing 2 mounted tapes most of the time, and the
backup duration is nearly twice what it should be.

Right now, we are not using Shared Memory protocol (disabled due to some
'dsmserv' crashes that failed to release shared memory).  We are using
tcpip protocol, and are using TCPServerAddress=127.0.0.1 (localhost) for
all tcpip sessions.

Does anyone know a way to force a single 'dsmc sched' process to start a
minimum number of threads (>= #tape drives), or know probable reasons why our
configuration isn't doing it now?

- rsvp with comments & tuning tips, thanks.

Kent Monthei
GlaxoSmithKline
Kent.J.Monthei AT GSK DOT com