ADSM-L

ITSM Vs. Veritas NBU

2002-11-09 20:44:51
Subject: ITSM Vs. Veritas NBU
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 19:44:19 -0600
Hi,

Sorry I am reposting this but the first post didn't format correctly.

Attached below is a news release that has just come out or will be
coming out next week.  In addition, I have the detailed PDF document of
the independent study that was done comparing the 2 products.  I
wouldn't call it a slam dunk win for ITSM but it was a very clear victory.
I am looking forward to some discussion on this list about the report. I
think there are a couple of areas that the test was not fair (favored
Veritas) but ITSM won anyway, but I will bring that up after some people
have looked over the report.

If anyone is interested I can send them copies of the PDF file.  Also, I
will be putting on my web site shortly (by this evening),
http://mdrconsult.com and you will be able to get it from there as well.

In addition to the press release below and the PDF report there are two
other files, a Power Point presentation and a FAQ about the study.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Demonstrates Critical Advantages Over NetBackup

NEW YORK CITY, NY, October XX, 2002 - Results of recently completed
benchmark tests administered by analyst firm Progressive Strategies show
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager offering distinct advantages in backup and
restore performance over VERITAS NetBackup.

"Tivoli has always maintained that IBM Tivoli Storage Manager's
advantages in performance and tape resource conservation accrue over
time," explains Barry Cohen, Project Director at Progressive Strategies.
"Our test scenario bears that out. This product is much better suited to
the realities that companies encounter today and will encounter in the
future in their data management and storage environments," said Craig
Norris, analyst with Progressive Strategies. "NetBackup is
unquestionably a solid product, however, limitations integral to its
architecture and its traditional approach to backup and restore
processes become problematic as the amount of data in a business grows,
and as the IT infrastructure evolves to manage it all."

This ambitious benchmark test sought to establish a realistic business
data management scenario by regularly backing up data from multiple
client computers over a month long period. The test results reveal that
over this more realistic time period, IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
exhibits significantly better performance in overall backup and restore
in comparison to Veritas NetBackup.  In these tests, the complete backup
cycle was 36% faster for IBM Tivoli Storage Manager, and it was 66%
faster than NetBackup in restore tests. NetBackup sent considerably more
data over the network and used four times more tape media to hold that
data over the length of the testing period.

Descriptions of the benchmark and results of the tests are presented as
an appendix to an in-depth research report that examines features and
functions of IBM Tivoli Storage Manager and compares them with
NetBackup. The report examines how the products address several key
areas critical to backup and restore solutions for business data. Its
primary focus is on product architecture and its impact on cost of
ownership and return on investment, the flexibility to adapt to rapidly
evolving business requirements, and the cost benefits derived from
implementing standards-based end-to-end solutions. The report concludes
that IBM Tivoli Storage Manager offers the data protection solution more
appropriate to what businesses require today.

Both VERITAS and IBM Tivoli demonstrate a firm grasp of the challenges
facing modern businesses. These challenges include burgeoning data and
complex, ever-expanding storage infrastructures. However, the
Progressive Strategies report illustrates how IBM Tivoli Storage
Manager's architecture is better suited to handle these challenges in
managing business data.

"We found that IBM Tivoli Storage Manager provides a superior solution
to all the most critical challenges we considered," says Norris. "The
foresight IBM Tivoli Software put into designing IBM Tivoli Storage
Manager  is clearly paying off as businesses with expanding backup
requirements are finding its capabilities indispensable."

The Business Strategy Report is available from the Progressive
Strategies Web site at [URL TBD].

###