ADSM-L

scripted TSM DB restore - is now failing

2002-11-08 12:37:16
Subject: scripted TSM DB restore - is now failing
From: "Taylor, David" <DTaylor AT WBMI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:35:24 -0600
Can anyone explain ~why~ this is happening?

Both servers are TSM server 4.2.1.15 on AIX 4.3.3 ML06.

I have a  DR script which runs daily that bundles everything I need for DR
(DBB, devconfig, volhist etc...) sends it to a remote site where it applies
the DBB starts the server marks all the primary tapes as destroyed etc....

This has been working just fine for several months.

Recently the restore at the remote site has been intermittently (~50% of the
time) ending prematurely with the following:

ANR4639I Restored 1016912 of 1141467 database pages.
ANR4639I Restored 1033600 of 1141467 database pages.
ANR1365I Volume /tsm/drfiles/Thursday/36710741.dbb closed (end reached).
ANR4584E Database restore terminated - incomplete input volume list.

The command being used is:
dsmserv restore db devclass=fileclass volume=$DBBFILE commit=yes

The uncompressed DBB is ~4.5 GB.   The DB has been gradually growing (but
has been > 4GB since I put this script in place) - no dramatic changes.
Ulimit is -1 (unlimited).  No file-systems are filling up, or are in danger
of doing so.  Nothing in errpt.

And the really odd thing is that re-running the command (the recommended
user response in the "Furnished materials) will complete successfully -
using the same DBB.

Any ideas?

TIA

David