ADSM-L

Re: Diskpool volume mirroring

2002-11-06 23:26:52
Subject: Re: Diskpool volume mirroring
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 22:26:12 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
> Our AIX guys have added 6 SSA disk to our TSM server for
> mirroring and now I want to add them to TSM.
> However, I cannot find a way to define a mirror volume for diskpool
volumes.
> Now my guess is that TSM mirroring is only available for database and log
> volumes and not for diskpool volumes. I'm I right?
> If so, the only alternative is using AIX mirroring for diskpool volumes?

You're better off with OS-level mirroring in AIX anyway; it's stable and
fast.

However, I still don't see the reason to mirror the diskpool volumes. First,
it eats into disk I/O performance. Second, in most environments, backups to
disk happen overnight, and diskpool to offsite pool backup and diskpool to
primary pool migration both happen first thing in the morning. This
arrangement allows for a very small window of vulnerability, and keeps you
from eating a big chunk of disk for the mirror.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE