ADSM-L

Re: TSM version 5

2002-11-06 14:45:01
Subject: Re: TSM version 5
From: bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 12:31:10 -0700
        We are in the process of moving our 8 TSM servers from the
"very-stable,I-never-wanna-change" Version 4.1.4.0, to the
"it-scares-me-to-death-to-change" Version 5.

        FYI, we have 8 TSM servers running on AIX 4.3.3 ML10, ~800 clients
(NT, AIX, Solaris, Linux & VMS) running with TSM client levels anywhere from
2.1 to 5.1, with the majority of them at version 4.1 and 4.2.

        We are being "motivated" to move to a newer version so we're on a
supported version and because there are new features that our NT admins want
to exploit.

        So, my logic went like this:
        4.2.* - Way to buggy, not ~even~ going to go there.
        5.1.0.0 - First version, too buggy.
        5.1.5.0 - Seems to re-introduce previously fixed bugs.
        5.1.1.6 - I don't like to install patches (as opposed to maintenance
levels) unless I encounter a bug.

        So, that lead me to install 5.1.1.0 on my TSM servers.

        I'm rolling out the "4.1.4.0 to 5.1.1.0 upgrade" gradually, just in
case I encounter a big gotcha. As of today, I have upgraded 5 of the 8
servers,(doing about 1/week).

        Things seem to be good so far. I'm keeping an eye on the "SYSTEM
OBJECTS" on the NT hosts, but they seem to be stable and not growing any
larger, (but I'm going to keep an eye on that one). Also, the clients don't
seem to be reporting any more errors than usual. No errors on the "expire
inventory" that I can see.

        I'm kinda thinking that I dodged a bullet and it won't be as painful
as I thought this was going to be. It's quiet... perhaps a little ~too~
quiet... (roll scary music... queue scary bug...) ;-)

        Once we are comfortable with the TSM servers at 5.1.1.0, we will
start to upgrade the client software.

Ben