ADSM-L

Re: Tivoli TSM client on FreeBSD??

2002-11-04 09:23:39
Subject: Re: Tivoli TSM client on FreeBSD??
From: Justin Bleistein <justin.bleistein AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 09:01:30 -0500
I would like the request that client as well. I don't know why TIVOLI/IBM
hasn't developed that yet?. How about the RT is there a client for AIX 2.1.
I really don't think so. We still use an IBM RT running AIX 2.1 at a Unix
kernel design course at a local college and it would be nice to back it up.
Just kidding I know they don't have a client for it but it would be nice to
be backwards compatible.

--Justin

                      "Charles F.
                      Fisher"                  To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      <[email protected]        cc:
                      C.UKY.EDU>               Subject:  Re: Tivoli TSM client
on FreeBSD??
                      Sent by: "ADSM:
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      11/04/2002 07:32
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 02:08:21PM +1100, Carl Makin wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 14:25, Paul Mather wrote:
>
> > Tivoli provide no FreeBSD TSM client.  (Boo, hiss!)
>
> Contact your local Tivoli salesdroid and request one.  They can fire the
> request back into IBM.  If we get enough requests, they might actually
> think about doing one.
>
> I've had very limited success with the linux client and basically gave
> up on it.
>
> We're using the ancient SCO v2 client running under iBCS2 emulation
> which I have packaged up to make it easy to install.  I'll email it to
> you in a separate email.  The GUI doesn't work properly and it can't
> handle files over 2Gb in size, but otherwise the command line client
> works fine.  Since there is no /compat/iBCS2 structure the emulation
> doesn't hide the FreeBSD filesystems which is a major pain with the
> Linux client.

Sorry to jump in, but ...
Would you also email the material to chuck AT bureau13.cc.uky DOT edu, or make
them
available for download somewhere?  Our site is converting to TSM, and has
several FreeBSD systems that need to be backed up.

Thanks.