ADSM-L

Re: Excluding files in Windows NT

2002-10-30 22:07:25
Subject: Re: Excluding files in Windows NT
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:52:43 -0500
Yes, you can exclude them, especially on  servers.  I believe there
has been some discussion on this that if you exclude these on a
Workstation, depending on how it's setup etc. this mght not be
the best idea to exclude them as the current user might loose
something
on a restore.  If you look at the dsm.smp file as installed on client,
it has a long section of excludes.  I use that as standard on NT4.0 and

W2K machines with no problem.

Yes, you can restore the registry. When you backup system objects,
the registry is actually "copied" I believe to C:\adsm.sys folder and
that
is backed up.  It's some kind of slight of hand or something they do,
so don't exclude that!

David Longo

>>> aadil AT LAW.COLUMBIA DOT EDU 10/30/02 04:26PM >>>
Can I safely  exclude following files from backup:

c$\WINNT\Profiles\Administrator\NTUSER.DAT
c$\WINNT\Profiles\Administrator\ntuser.dat.LOG
c$\WINNT\system32\config\default.LOG
c$\WINNT\system32\config\SAM
c$\WINNT\system32\config\SAM.LOG
c$\WINNT\system32\config\SECURITY
c$\WINNT\system32\config\SECURITY.LOG
c$\WINNT\system32\config\software
c$\WINNT\system32\config\software.LOG
c$\WINNT\system32\config\system
c$\WINNT\system32\config\SYSTEM.ALT

I am getting errors in the log file that these files cannot be backed
up
since they are open.

Tivoli Storage Manager for Windows Backup-Archive Clients Installation
and
User's Guide recommends the following exclude statement:

exclude "*:\...\system32\config\*.*"
exclude "*:\...\system32\config\...\*"

Can I restore the registry and other system objects it I exclude all
the
files listed above? They are not getting backed up anyway.

Anwer

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 10/30/2002 09:54:19 PM
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the
right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender,
except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a
particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such
views or opinions.