ADSM-L

Re: monthly backup

2002-10-29 12:09:13
Subject: Re: monthly backup
From: DFrance <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:57:00 -0600
Yep... most data center customers I've worked with prefer to do online full
backups during the week, then weekly and monthly offline/cold backups...
using "dsmc archive /Ora_instanceX/* -archmc=xyz -su=y".  Using archive
makes it very easy to do just what the customer wants:  weekly (and/or
monthly) cold-snapshot of the db, retained just for the desired amount of
time (as specified in the MC)... archive simply runs the list of files
specified -- no comparing of last-change attributes, etc.  The one
difference you should note is that an archive client schedule will be marked
as "failed" if any files must be skipped; whereas backup is not.

Don France
Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tivoli Storage Manager, WinNT/2K, AIX/Unix, OS/390
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT att DOT net

Professional Association of Contract Employees
(P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)