ADSM-L

Re: UNLOADDB Operational Questions

2002-10-29 10:48:12
Subject: Re: UNLOADDB Operational Questions
From: John Bremer <jbremer AT LANL DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:43:42 -0700
I*SMers,

Well, I didn't see many responses to Paul's question about unload - reload
database reorganization, and most disconcerting, nothing from the gurus in
Tucson.

I looked back in the archives, and there are a lot of exchanges regarding
this issue, but my conclusion is, no one really knows how long this will
take for large databases (>100GB).  Evidently a database audit is not
necessary if no errors are encountered, and the unload - reload really does
improve performance and reduce database size.

Given this, why doesn't IBM Tivoli / ADSM provide us with better ways to
reorg our databases?  In our situation, we can't possibly risk a reorg,
considering the downtime could run into days or weeks.

One response I saw in the archives told us that a 46GB database was reduced
to 26GB and select statements "that would never finish before" now run in
seconds to minutes.  However, the time involved was 16 hours unload, 7
hours reload, and if an audit had been necessary, another 92 hours
there.  Why such a heavy price for something that would help us all?

This is a sad state of affairs (my opinion).

John Bremer