ADSM-L

Re: Varying tape drives offline

2002-10-24 17:27:43
Subject: Re: Varying tape drives offline
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:17:12 -0500
Well -- yes and no.

You get this interesting warning message that the drive is in use and the
process using it may fail. Then it marks the drive offline (well, actually,
online=no).

At the next breakpoint, the process using the drive will fail. Breakpoint
being new file to read or write. Now, if you're trying to kill a storage
pool backup to free the input tape because the output drive has died and no
longer responds . . . it won't happen. Because the process never GETS to the
breakpoint . . .

And how do I know this? I've run into this on both DLT and LTO drives, and I
REALLY want a 'cancel this process NOW' option; the database cleanup
shouldn't be any worse than what needs to be done because I've halted the
server to kill the process. (And if the server won't halt, I know where the
power switch is).

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc