ADSM-L

Re: Overwriting Tapes outside of TSM

2002-10-24 11:53:28
Subject: Re: Overwriting Tapes outside of TSM
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:35:09 -0500
Geoffrey, I'd have to question the reason behind the requirement.

If this is to be done to a tape (or set of tapes) prior to relabeling and
using them as scratch in the same library then I'd question why they were in
the library in the first place.

If this is to be done prior to removing and disposing of the tapes, then
much time, effort, and wear on machines can be saved by applying a 5-pound
sledge-hammer to the tape, followed with a hot wire or hot knife to the tape
afterward. The resale value of used 3590E tape is not high enough to make
secure erasure worth while.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc