ADSM-L

Re: Co-location

2002-10-23 21:18:49
Subject: Re: Co-location
From: Chris Gibes <gibes AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:17:10 -0500
As to your db issue, all I can say is ouch.

You haven't said what kind of library (and how many drives), or how big
your potential collocated backup is, but a possible option would be to
set up a collocated tape pool and then a management class that points
directly to that pool. Then specify that mgmt class (via "include
<filespec> <management class>") in the correct dsm.opt files. You would
be bypassing the diskpool, but if your tape is fast enough and you have
the spare drives, this is a perfectly acceptable option.  Again, you
wouldn't be getting the benefits of a diskpool, but it would give you
the benefits of collocation.  A key point if you decide to set this up
is that you should design it so that at a maximum you never have more
sessions backing up to this pool than x-1 where x=number of drives. You
should always leave at least one drive free for adhoc restores and/or
diskpool migration. I like to leave at least two free, or even more if I
can.

As always ymmv

Chris Gibes (gibes AT berbee DOT com)
Tivoli Certified Consultant