ADSM-L

Re: Veritas Enterprise Netbackup 4.5

2002-10-20 04:15:11
Subject: Re: Veritas Enterprise Netbackup 4.5
From: Don France <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 01:39:32 -0500
... and,
1. If you review the Veritas web-site, you'll find their acknowledgement
that they sacrifice "some" restore performance in order to make backups
faster!  Why do I want that???

2.  I though it's Legato that "gives away" their product -- or, should I
say, does private-branding of NetWorker for many competing vendors' Unix
variants; seems like a good business model if (a) you have the support staff
to handle the calls responding to bug reports (they don't); and (b) you can
keep the executives from robbing the piggy bank... was that what they got
caught doing?

CA's product is not much better;  it still seems to "croak" when its
database gets too large, still requires alot of manually "managing" the tape
pools,etc.

So much for wanting to support all-things-Storage-Management... I will stay
with TSM, and focus on staying current with the myriad changes being
introduced twice a year (not to mention features that still get shipped in
the almost-weekly stream of maintenance/patch releases).

Don France
Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tivoli Storage Manager, WinNT/2K, AIX/Unix, OS/390
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT att DOT net

Professional Association of Contract Employees
(P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)