ADSM-L

Re: Archive\Long Term Storage Question

2002-10-15 13:49:58
Subject: Re: Archive\Long Term Storage Question
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:50:00 -0400
> Recently I have been asked to look into archiving for long term storage
of
> our Exchange, SQL  and Oracle database backups. We are currently using
TDP
> for our normally backup schedules and would like to retain an
annual\monthly
> copy of those databases.
> I know this list has an overwhelming amount of information about how TSM
is
> not designed for retention settings of this type, but they can be
achieved
> with copy group retention settings and second management classes.
> My particular server has an archivepool but it doesn't have any space
> allocated to it, so I am unable to use the archive feature.

Mark,

TDP for Oracle, Exchange, and SQL do not support sending
data to "Archive" storage pools. All of the data backed
up by these TDPs goes to "Backup" storage pools.

Many of our customers use a second nodename (like  EXCHSRV23_ARCHIVE)
with different managment class settings to accomplish
what you are looking for.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Never cut what can be untied.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.