ADSM-L

Re: Off site copy with one drive???

2002-10-01 08:27:08
Subject: Re: Off site copy with one drive???
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 06:19:45 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Etienne Brodeur
> Is it possible if I have a one drive library to use a copy storage pool
> for my backups?

Yes.

> I can backup to disk, then backup the diskpool to the copypool.  (this way
> I should have all my data onsite and offsite).

Exactly. You backup from diskpool to offsite pool, and then you migrate from
diskpool to primary tape pool.

> How do I then reclaim my copypool volumes?

You can't. TSM doesn't support a disk-based reclamation pool for reclamation
of offsite tape pools.

> I can't reclaim to disk like I
> do with my onsite volumes for some reason (I don't see why not since the
> DB can track which file is on which onsite tape mount it and copy it to my
> reclaimpool on disk.  Once that is done it can mount a scratch or copypool
> volume and the offsite volumes would be reclaimed no?

One-drive libraries are pretty much worthless. Particularly if you have
large-capacity tape volumes, your disk-based reclamation pool needs to be at
least 40% of the maximum size of the tape volume. In the case of LTO tapes,
that means 80GB of disk space for the reclamation pool.

Do yourself a BIG favor. Get a three-drive library.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE